Meet the Captains: Spring sports
Meet the Captains: Spring sports
Julia Delsol, Emily Block, and Mason GarboMarch 26, 2024

Dear [Name of Customer], by Julia Delsol

Students embrace Feed the Deed movement

Feed the Deed, a worldwide movement that promotes positivity through random acts of kindness, has recently come to Redwood.

The movement began in Canada, and has spread through nominations–one person commits a random act of kindness and then nominates friends to do the same. Social media outlets like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are crucial parts of spreading the movement.

The act of kindness must be documented in some way–like a picture or a video–and posted to a social media outlet.

After documenting and sharing the experience, participators must nominate three to five friends to “feed the deed.” The nominees are given 24 to 48 hours to do the same, thereby spreading the movement.

The movement is sponsored by an organization called Kindness Counts, which promotes various movements that focus on spreading kindness. Junior Kismet Kumar is responsible for recently bringing the movement to Redwood, after finding out about it through friends in the Midwest and East Coast.

“I’ve always been curious about it, because it seemed so amazing to me,” Kumar said. “During Kindness Week, which we had a couple weeks ago, I just thought that it would be a great time to start something like this, because we’re trying to promote the act of random kindness and being nice to your peers at Redwood.”

There are many different ways that people “feed the deed.” Juniors Jake Trusheim and Sander French distributed food to the homeless in San Francisco, while Kumar brought cookies to the police station, and others bought flowers for friends, and brought coffee to the custodial staff, respectively.

The random acts of kindness can be simple or complex, as long as they benefit someone in the community.

Although Kumar enlisted the help of the Leadership program in spreading the movement and getting more students involved, she says that participating in the Feed the Deed movement is left up to individuals, and not just Redwood students.

“This idea isn’t just meant for Redwood students. I really want to spread this throughout California and more states in America,” Kumar said.

However, the movement has become very popular among Redwood students.

“I first nominated five people that I knew were excited about this to help me start it,” Kumar said. “They all did it and nominated their friends, and I’ve just been on Facebook and seen random people feeding the deed, and it’s really a great thing.

Kumar estimates that she has seen about 20 or 30 Facebook posts showing people “feeding the deed.”

To find out more about the movement, students can visit the Kindness Counts Facebook page, or search #feedthedeed on almost any social media website.