Richard ByrneApril 18, 2024

Top-rate places for a Valentine’s Day Date

Valentine’s day is approaching in just a few weeks, and nearly every couple is looking for a unique way to celebrate the holiday.  The Bark compiled a list of some of Marin’s most interesting dating spots for couples of all types, whether they prefer spending a day enjoying the outdoors or relaxing and listening to a concert.

Eat dinner at the Melting Pot:

CHEESE FONDUE, salads, and chocolate fondue are just some of the foods you and your date can share at the Melting Pot restaurant in Larkspur.

Larkspur’s Melting Pot restaurant serves tasty food in an environment that’s romantic but not too cheesy.  The dinner menu of cheese fondues, salads, and meat fondues is sure to please, especially when followed by a chocolate fondue dessert—“The Original,” which contains milk chocolate and peanut butter, is the best bet. Although it’s a bit expensive, the Melting Pot is a great place for an intimate yet interesting date. $20-$30 per person; call 461-6358 to make a reservation.

See a concert at the Sweetwater Music Hall:

The recently-reopened Sweetwater Music Hall in Mill Valley hosts a variety of live shows every week, ranging from local band performances to Open Mic nights to indie movie screenings. Start by eating some small plates at the Sweetwater Cafe, then watch a show in the historic hall.  In February, offerings include retro rock n’ roll singer Lukas Nelson, a folk quartet called The Rusty String Express, and the singer-songwriter duo Girls + Boys. Despite the variety of genres and options, every concert is inexpensive or even free. $10 per person for food; concert prices vary; buy tickets at sweetwatermusichall.com.

Go kayaking with Outback Adventures:

Explore the Bay Area and enjoy the outdoors by taking a kayaking day trip with Outback Adventures. None of the three- or four-hour trips require any prior kayaking experience, and they are offered in all different parts of Marin, from the Corte Madera marsh to Point Reyes. Also, most of the trips involve a stop on a beach or a chance to see wildlife, making them a great way to relax and enjoy nature. Although the trips aren’t cheap—most are around $70—Outback Adventures provides paddles, life jackets, and safety equipment. See outbackadventures.com for the full schedule of kayaking trips and classes.

Learn how to rock climb at Planet Granite:

KAYAKING TRIPS  with Outback Adventures are easy ways to enjoy the outdoors with a date.
KAYAKING TRIPS with Outback Adventures are easy ways to enjoy the outdoors with a date.

Planet Granite, located next to Crissy Field in the Presidio, is a great place to learn how to rock climb without the hassle of driving to the mountains or buying expensive gear. This huge climbing gym offers rentals and lessons for first-timers, providing opportunities for climbers of all skill or comfort levels. A day of climbing at Planet Granite is reasonably priced—a day pass is $20, and a shoe and harness rental is $6. Overall, climbing at Planet Granite is a great way to spend time with your date while also learning an interesting new skill. Minors need a signed waiver to climb.